I always enjoy reading about other people's processes.
99% of the time, this is how my note-taking process goes:
- I’m catching up on my RSS feed (on my phone in the Reeder app)
- I read something that strikes me as interesting, novel, or insightful.
- I copy/paste it as an blockquote into a new, plain-text note in iA writer.
- I copy/paste the link of the article into iA writer.
- I finish reading the article and copy/paste anything else in the article that strikes me.
- I add my own comments in the note as they pop into my head.
- I move on to the next article in my RSS feed.
I like to let my notes sit for a couple days (or even weeks). I find that if I come back to a note and still find it interesting/insightful that means it’s worth keeping, so I put in the work of cleaning it up and publishing it.
Time is underestimated as a filter for content.